Your safety is just as important to us as your enjoyment in learning to skate. That's why, in accordance with the National Standards established by the Ice Skating Institute (ISI), skaters advance only after being tested, to be sure they have the skills necessary to move on to the next level.
Our program and instructors prepare you well to advance through each skills level below:
Pre-Tot • Age 3
This class for three-year-olds will give your child a chance to get a taste of skating. Helmets and gloves are strongly recommended.
Rockin’ Tots (Ages 4-6)
Skaters who are enrolled in Tot 1, 2, 3 or 4 will have fun while they greatly benefit from this class! The entire class is set to music, improving skater’s speed, balance and body control.
Progressive Tot Programs (Ages 4-6)
This set of programs is designed to help young skaters develop specific skating skills at each level starting with Tot I. Note: Each participant will need to pass the preceding class or have the approval of the Skating Supervisor before they will be allowed to enter the next level. Equipment: Helmets and gloves are strongly recommended.
- Tot 1: All Tots must begin at this entry level of instruction. Skaters learn to balance on skates, the proper methods of falling, and getting up.
- Tot 2: Introduction to gliding, stopping and stroking.
- Tot 3: Introduction to backward skating.
- Tot 4: Introduction to forward crossovers.
Early Youth Programs
Pre-Alpha 1 (Ages 7 & Up)
In this instructional class for the beginning skater, participants are taught proper technique on falling, getting up and balance. Forward movements such as swizzles, gliding and marching are introduced.
Pre-Alpha 2 (Ages 7 & Up)
Instruction involves advanced balance with forward movement with an introduction to backward movement such as wiggles and swizzles. Prerequisite: Passing Pre-Alpha 1
Progressive Youth Programs (Ages 7 & Up)
In the Learn-to-Skate programs below, skaters will learn more advanced skating skills starting at Alpha I. Note: Each participant will need to pass the preceding class or have the approval of the Skating Supervisor before being allowed to enter the next level.
- Alpha: Skaters will learn forward maneuvers like forward crossovers.
- Beta: Skaters will learn maneuvers like back crossovers.
- Gamma: Skaters will learn transitional three turns and mohawks.
- Delta: Skaters will learn transitional backward to forward maneuvers with an intro to forward edge rolls.
- Freestyle 1-3: Skaters are taught to master all of the jumps and spins in levels 1 through 3.
- Freestyle 4 & Up: Includes 45 minutes of instruction and training.
- Alpha-Delta Power: Skaters will hone their basic skating skills to develop more speed and power. Students must be currently enrolled in Alpha or above or have approval from the Skating Director.
- Freestyle 1, 2, 3 Power: Skaters will hone their basic skating skills to develop more speed and power. Students must be currently enrolled in Freestyle 1 or above or have approval from the Skating Director.
Accelerated Skater Program
For skaters who want to advance at a quicker pace, this program allows skaters to participate in two classes per week, and get a free practice time. Skaters will receive a $5.00 discount on the second class and a coupon for one free practice session. For additional information call the Oakton office at 847-692-3359.