Warming shelters and seasonal facilities will be open when wind chill is above -20° F or temperature is above 10° F. Use the outdoor skating and sledding hotline at 847-825-9077 to check on which facilities are open or closed.
Skating and sledding facilities are open December through February (weather permitting). Skate and sled at your own risk.
South Park and Centennial Park
Saturday: 10am - 9pm
Sunday: Noon - 9pm
Weekdays: 4pm - 9pm
When school is not in session:
Weekdays: 10am - 9pm
Dec. 24 and 31: 10am - 4pm
Dec. 25 and Jan. 1: Closed
Note: There is no warming shelter at Northwest Park.
The outdoor ice rinks at South Park & Northwest Park cannot be made until there are three consecutive nights of below freezing temperatures to allow the ground sufficient time to freeze, and then approximately five more consecutive days of below freezing daytime high temperatures to complete the outdoor ice rink.
- Skate at your own risk
- Vandals will be prosecuted
- The follwing behaviors are prohibited:
- Fast, reckless, or weaving skating
- Throwing objects onto the rink
- Smoking, alcohol, and loitering
- Rough games and horseplay
- Hockey nets
- Slap shots or lifting the puck off the ice
- Hockey is allowed in designated areas only
- In case of an emergency, please contact 911
- Call the Park District at 847-692-5127 for additional information or to report any unsafe situations
Green flags indicate safe conditions.
Red flags indicate unsafe conditions.
All ice rinks are swept and re-surfaced as needed. To ensure safety, rinks are monitored and checked daily. Flags are posted to let skaters know when conditions are safe. At no time should you skate on a rink with a red flag. Always check the flag upon arrival at the rink before going on the ice.
Maine Park Bunny Hill
This hill is perfect sledding for ages 2-5. The small hill is located at the south end of Maine Park adjacent to the baseball diamond.
Centennial Park Sled Hill
Sled at your own risk. Sleds only. No skis or snowboards allowed.
- Sledding can be dangerous and pose substantial risk. Use the hill at your own risk.
- Parents are responsible for their children. No supervision is provided.
- Use caution when sledding and be considerate of others.
- Sledding is only permitted on the north side of the hill designated for sledding.
- Please use steps to climb hill.
- Construction of ramps is not permitted.