Beginning the week of February 13 and last through the end of May.
In the East Wing
- Creation of two classrooms to be used for Wildwood Nature Center preschool and programs.
- Addition of four, single-user public restrooms.
- Creation of two multi-purpose rooms to be used for programs as well as rentals, such as birthday parties.
Registration Area/Staff Offices
- This area is being completely reconfigured to better utilize the space and serve our patrons better, including creating an accessible registration counter.
New Flooring in the Main Corridor
- From the main entrance to the first set of double doors just past the Leisure Room.
Converting Art Studio to a new Dance Studio room
- Current dance programming at South Park will be relocated to Maine Park.
- New flooring in the current Dance Studio room
- Addition of a Viewing Window into the Gym
- New and Improved WiFi throughout the Building
Beginning after Phase One ends and lasts through the summer.
- Improvements will be made to the mechanical systems as well as the boiler.
Current Restrooms Renovated
- Additionally the orientation of the restroom will change to open to the vestibule accessed in the back doors to the playground.
Preschool Offices Reconfigured
- A main office for the Preschool just past the northwest entrance which will lead into the Preschool Supervisor's office.
Security Door Added
- These doors will limit access to the Preschool Classroom wing.
- Private music lesson rooms will be added.
Week of April 27
Painting of the door frames and the walls in the front registration/staff office area has begun. The drywall taping/sanding is being completed in the multipurpose rooms and Nature Preschool Classrooms, and painting will begin next week. Tile work is in progress in the restrooms. Concrete for the accessible exit pathways is being poured this week.
Click here to view a photo video tour of the progress.
Week of March 13
Asbestos abatement will start in the crawl spaces located under the building. Crews will start on the east wing crawl spaces and work their way toward the west wing. It is anticipated that abatement of the west preschool wing will occur the week of March 20 while classes are on spring break to minimize disruption to our young students.
Work on the Art Studio and Dance Studio is anticipated to begin.
Week of Feb. 27
The next area for demolition and abatement is the main corridor. (Highlighted in green on the floor plan.) Once the demolition and abatement are complete, this hallway and the main entrance will reopen.
Week of Feb. 20
The next area for demolition will be the front reception desk and staff offices. (Highlighted in purple on the floor plan.) The main entrance will not be available this week nor the following week. The front registration desk will close at 4:30pm Friday, Feb. 17, and will remain closed Phase One is complete. We will have a staff member onsite to assist with questions if needed. In-person registration for programs is accepted at our other facilities. Online registration is also available as well as faxing to 847-692-4280.
Week of Feb. 13
Demolition will begin in the east wing of the building from the double doors near the vending machines through the back entrance. This area (including the exterior doors facing south) will remain closed to the public for the duration of phase one of the project. (Highlighted in pink on the floor plan.)
Week of Feb. 6
We anticipate to receive permits from the City soon, which will allow us to begin phase one of the renovation project as early as Tuesday, Feb. 14. The first steps in this project are demolition and asbestos abatement of the mastic (adhesive resin) located under carpeting in the building and the insulation located in the crawlspaces.
Please be assured that the safety of our patrons and staff is always a priority. We understand the concerns regarding asbestos abatement. Our contractor is required to follow Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) regulations designed for occupied areas.
The following resources are available for more information:
We ask that you are respectful of the barricades and areas marked as closed throughout the project. We know at times it will be inconvenient, and we thank you again for your patience as we make improvements to the building. We will do our best to notify you of impacted areas as we become aware.
Scheduled classes, programs, events, and rentals are anticipated to continue uninterrupted. We will regularly evaluate the impact the renovation has to our program areas and may be required to make adjustments as needed. We will promptly notify anyone who may be impacted in these cases.
Please remember, administrative staff in the building has been relocated but still may be reached at their current phone numbers or by email.