Once learned, figure skating is a skill you have for life. It’s a great sport to enjoy recreationally, plus figure skating offers opportunities to compete and pursue a passion.
Park Ridge Park District operates a premier skating school year-round at Oakton Ice Arena with an exceptional coaching staff.
We provide a fun and safe skating experience for the beginner while also serving the needs of the advanced skater. Our curriculum is designed to keep all skaters enthusiastic about learning — from the time they begin lessons until they reach their goals.
All figure skating programs and sessions must be purchased online.
Current program schedule
Learn to Skate USA Curriculum
Oakton Ice Arena is restructuring our learn-to-skate curriculum from Ice Sports Industry (ISI) standards to Learn to Skate USA, the only program endorsed by US Figure Skating, USA Hockey, and US Speedskating!
Learn to Skate USA teaches the fundamentals of ice skating while building confidence and skills through each lesson. The progressive curriculum ensures success from the first steps on the ice to the mastery of advanced skills. It promotes the health and fitness benefits of ice skating and equips each participant with the foundation necessary to reach their goal, be it recreational or competitive in nature.
LEARN TO SKATE USA IS:
- A goal-oriented program that provides incentive and encouragement to keep skaters motivated
- A personalized approach that allows skaters to progress at their own rate and advance after skill mastery is demonstrated
- A curriculum that offers something for everyone — from the first steps on the ice to mastering advanced techniques
- Solid skill development based on the ABCs of basic athleticism — Agility, Balance, Coordination, and Speed
- A progressive system that, upon completion of the program, allows skaters to confidently advance to more specialized areas of skating
- Access to continued education and resources for parents of young skaters to assist with making the appropriate decisions throughout their skating journey
- Instruction from background screened and certified instructors
- Instruction that follows a standardized curriculum founded in solid and fun skill progression
- A welcome packet that includes Learn to Skate USA The Magazine, a Parent Handbook and Record Book to keep track of your progress in class
- Access to full listing of skating programs in your area
- Access to online educational material for skaters and parents
- Secondary sports accident insurance
- Email communications with upcoming events and educational information
- The opportunity to participate in classes, performances, competitions and all Learn to Skate USA activities
Register for Learn to Skate USA Now
Learn to Skate
This is where it begins: Our Learn to Skate lessons are designed to teach ice skating in a way that’s progressive, structured, safe, and fun. At every level, we focus on the correct technique for each of the basic elements taught. Our program enables participants to achieve the skills necessary to either skate for fun the rest of their lives or move into competition.
Ever dream of being a star skater and competing in the Winter Olympics! Our Competitive Edge program is geared toward those who want to begin competing in figure skating. Specialized instruction and training, plus extra ice time, provide opportunities to develop and grow.
The Park Ridge Speed Skating Club has been skating for fun, fitness, and competition for over 40 years. Skaters range in age from 5 to 55 and ability levels range from novice to Olympians. If you'd like to skate fast, stop by and give us a try.
Prefer one-on-one instruction? Our instructors offer private lessons for first-timers all the way up to advanced competitors. To inquire about private instruction, please email the Oakton office at email@example.com.